Written by Yousaf “Da Guru” Khan…
Well the 2018 USF Spring Game between the white (Offense) and the green (Defense) was played this past Saturday in near perfect weather in front of around 3.500 fans. The white team featuring the USF offense barely beat the green team consisting of the defense, 56-55, in a unique scoring system featuring points for sacks, picks, and 3 and outs. The green dominated early but the offense got in a rhythm later on and started to put up some td’s.
Here are some quick observations from “Da Guru”
– The battle for the new starting qb will go into the fall camp as both challengers Brett Kean and Chris Oladokun had nearly identical numbers throwing for 127 yards a piece along with 2 td’s. Oladokun had the only turnover with a pick thrown early in the game and later on almost fumbled the ball on a bad option pitch. Head Coach Charlie Strong didn’t seem to favor either and stated “Both of them can make throws and operate the offense. That’s really what you look for.”
– 7 different RB’s carried the ball on Saturday with Dave Small getting the most carries with 11 and 39 yards rushing. This is another competition that will go into fall camp with Florida transfer Jordan Cronkite, Duran Bell Jr, Elijah Mack, and Trevon Sands all looking to compete for carries.
– For the WR’s, freshman Randall St. Felix had the best day totaling 4 catches for 65 yards, including a 31 yard TD.
– 6’3 JR Darnell Salomon had the best play of the day streaking down the left sideline for a 43 yard bomb TD from Kean. The QB stated that “”I think Darnell is one of the best receivers in the conference, if not the country”.
– Expect TE Mitchell Wilcox to have a much bigger year statistically than previous years as he was targeted 4 times in the air and came down with 2 catches. Word is that he might be used in the slot as well as being the starter at TE.
– The offensive line only had 7 players healthy enough to play Saturday and was probably playing without its 3 best players at the tackle positions. The game was actually switched to a running clock to help out with shortage of o-line.
– The defense dominated the game early and totaled 9 sacks for the game. Josh Black led the way with 2.5 sacks and safety Jaymon Thomas had the only turnover of the game with a pick. Expect the defense to be much improved from a year ago and to carry the team with so many offensive playmakers leaving the program.
– Bucs linebacker Kwon Alexander was a special guest on the defensive sidelines and wearing a green and gold shirt supporting the hometown Bulls.
– 2 paratroopers made an entrance dropping from a plane and landing on the field to give the honorary game ball.